Side Twist Exercise Description
The following exercise provides written description designed for the individual just getting started with exercise.
Muscle Group: Lower Waist
Main Objective: Tone Lower Waist
Step by Step Instruction:
1. Plant feet firmly on the floor approximately 12-18 inches apart.
2. With knees slightly bent, slowly twist upper torso to one side.
3. When you feel your hips move out of position, slowly go back to center starting position.
4. From the center starting position, repeat twist to the other side.
5. Perform rotation on the torso from one side to the other, keeping hips fixed.
- Move your head from side to side. Instead, keep your face and head looking forward.
- Do not allow hips to sway from side to side. When hips move, go to center position.
- Do not use weights while performing this exercise. Doing so will prompt a thick waist.
- Do not get intimidated by hips swaying. Give it time. Be diligent with this exercise.
1. It’s important to do this exercise slowly so you can feel the lower waist being worked.
2. Using weights when performing abdomen movements prompts a thick waist.
3. Stop when the hips move out of position and return back to the center starting position.
4. Overall goal is to do this exercise freely and smoothly without hips moving.
5. If you use a stick or broomstick to help twist from side to side, follow these rules:
Place broom or other type of workout stick (less than one pound) on the trapezius muscles or the rear deltoid muscle behind the neck. Do not place the broom directly atop or around the neck area. Have hands extended out to on the stick, without pushing down too hard on the stick.
6. Do not use any type of weight when working the waist area. Doing so will only make the waist blocky in appearance.
Alternate Exercises for the Side Twist:
- Side Bend
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in the Beginner exercise course via video, written description is offered solely as opinion only. Always consult with your physician before trying any new diet or exercise program. This workout routine may not be suitable for you.