Side Dumbbell Raise Exercise Description
The following exercise provides written description designed for the individual just getting started with exercise.
Side Dumbbell Raise
Muscle Group: Side Shoulders (Side Deltoids)
Main Objective: Tone outer sides of Shoulders
Step by Step Instruction:
1. Stand with knees slightly bent and your feet shoulder width apart.
2. With arms placed along side down towards the hips and with a light weight in each hand, have palms facing your outer hips.
3. Stand tall, stomach held in, chest raised (No slouching), arms slightly bent at the sides.
4. Slowly raise arms out to the sides as you raise arms up to shoulder level.
5. Pause for one second. Slowly lower both arms down to starting position. Repeat exercise.
- Do not raise arms any higher than the level of your shoulder. Doing so puts too much strain on the ligaments and tendons surrounding the Side Deltoid.
- Do not allow your elbows to lockout during the exercise. Keep arms slightly bent.
- Do not arch lower back at any time throughout exercise.
1. It’s important to do this exercise slowly.
2. Keep wrists straight, in alignment with forearms, at all times.
3. Keep elbows slightly bent throughout the exercise--start to finish.
4. If you find one arm is weaker than the other, do one arm at a time or alternate each arm.
5. If you are new to exercise either use your body weight or a small one pound plate. Some
individuals choose a can of food in place of a dumbbell. Just be careful with keeping your wrist in alignment with your forearm.
Alternate Beginner Exercise for the Side Dumbbell (DB) Raise:
- Dumbbell (DB) Press
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in the Beginner exercise course via video, written description is offered solely as opinion only. Always consult with your physician before trying any new diet or exercise program. This workout routine may not be suitable for you.