Side Crunch Exercise Description
The following exercise provides written description designed for the individual just getting started with exercise.
Muscle Group: Intercostals and Sides of Waist and Upper Abdominals
Main Objective: Tone and create a V-Shape to the waist
Step by Step Instruction:
1. On the floor or a mat, lie on back with knees bent and feet planted on the floor in front of you.
2. Place the right ankle on or in the vicinity of the left knee in a cross-legged manner.
3. Gently push your lower back into the floor beneath to prevent a curve in the lower back.
4. Place left hand behind head to hold while resting the right arm along the side of your body.
5. Keep pelvis flat and square to the ground.
6. Lift your left elbow out and up toward your right knee.
7. Pause at the top of the exercise.
8. Slowly lower back out and down to starting position. Repeat desired number of reps.
9. Switch legs and arms to the other side and repeat the side crunch exercise.
- Do not lead exercise with your head. Simply hold head lightly in the palm of hand.
- Do not pull or twist neck. Instead, keep neck in alignment with back.
- Do not arch your lower back.
- Do not force yourself to touch the knee every rep. In the beginning it will be hard to touch your knees. Flexibility will increase over time allowing you, in due time, to touch the knees. Patience.
1. Getting your stretch at the end of this exercise will get quicker results.
2. The end of the outward rotation with your elbow should occur as your passing the waist area.
3. Once you can do the Side Crunch comfortably consider getting a multi flat, decline bench to advance your exercise program.
NOTE: Always try the bench out first even if you plan on buying online. Many benches will wobble from side to side. This you do not want. Save your money and save upto purchase a heavy duty bench that is solid, safe and comfortable .
Alternate Exercises for the Side Crunch:
- Side Bend
- Side Twist
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in the Beginner exercise course via video, written description is offered solely as opinion only. Always consult with your physician before trying any new diet or exercise program. This workout routine may not be suitable for you.