Side Bend Exercise Description
The following exercise provides written description designed for the individual just getting started with exercise.
Muscle Group: Upper Waist
Main Objective: Tone Upper Waist
Step by Step Instruction:
1. Plant your feet firmly on the floor approximately 12-18 inches apart.
2. Slightly bend the knees.
3. Focus on the upper waist area.
4. Starting from the center position, slowly bend to one side.
5. As soon as you feel a stretch on the opposite side, slowly go back to starting position.
6. Repeat this exerciseon the other side.
- Do not lockout knees at any time during this exercise.
- Do not allow hips to sway from side to side. Eventually you will have more flexibility.
- Do not use weights while performing this exercise. Using weight thickens the waist area.
- Always look straight ahead. Do not move head to the side.
1. It’s important to start this exercise slowly.
2. Stop when the hips begin to move and return back to starting position. The more you practice this exercise the sooner you will notice greater flexibility and exercise being performed without hips swaying from side to side.
3. Overall goal is to feel an “itty bitty” stretch in the upper waist area.
4. I use a broom stick as a bar above my shoulders.
5. If you use a stick or broomstick to help twist from side to side, follow these rules:
Place broom or other type of workout stick (less than one pound) on the trapezius muscles or the rear deltoid muscle behind the neck. Do not place the broom directly atop or around the neck area. Have hands extended out to on the stick, without pushing down too hard on the stick.
6. Do not use any type of weight when working the waist area. Doing so will only make the waist blocky in appearance.
Alternate Exercises for the Side Bend:
- Side Twist as you need to workout the “lower waist” (area below the navel)
- Side Crunch
- Stiff Arm Pull Down
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in the Beginner exercise course via video, written description is offered solely as opinion only. Always consult with your physician before trying any new diet or exercise program. This workout routine may not be suitable for you.