Dumbbell Press Exercise Description
The following exercise provides written description designed for the individual just getting started with exercise.
Muscle Group: Overall Shoulders
Main Objective: Strengthen Overall Shoulders
Step by Step Instruction:
1. Have a DB in each hand. Stand with knees slightly bent, feet shoulder width apart.
2. Arms bent at elbows. Hands and wrists out in front of shoulders, palms facing forward.
3. Slowly push arms “up” over head and stop shortly before elbows lock out.
4. Pause and slowly lower the arms back down to the shoulder area. Repeat movement.
- Do not forget to breathe during the movement. Breathe in as you press up and exhale as you slowly lower back to starting position.
- Do not lockout elbows at the top of the movement.
- Do not look side to side. Look straight ahead.
1. As you begin this movement slowly push out and up at the same time. As you reach midway over your head, you want to slowly bring your hands in towards another.
2. Feel the shoulder being worked especially during the first part of movement and as you resist the weight coming back down to starting position.
3. Keep wrists in alignment with forearms throughout the whole movement.
4. Quality shape comes from coming down all the way on this movement. Many people stop
short three or four inches above the shoulders. This is not proper form. Lower arms all the way down to starting position.
Alternate Beginner Exercises for the Dumbbell DB Press:
- Front DB Raise
- Side DB Raise
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in the Beginner exercise course via video, written description is offered solely as opinion only. Always consult with your physician before trying any new diet or exercise program. This workout routine may not be suitable for you.