Dumbbell Curl Exercise Description
The following exercise provides written description designed for the individual just getting started with exercise.
Muscle Group: Overall Bicep Exercise
Main Objective: Tone Arms (Biceps) Alternating Movement (One arm at a time)
Step By Step Instruction:
1. Place a weight in each hand, palms should be facing the sides of your thighs.
2. Feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent.
3. With palms facing your thighs slowly raise weight with the right hand.
4. Once hand is 3-4 inches past the thigh, slowly turn wrist upright.
5. Continue raising the weight till you reach the front of your right shoulder.
6. Slowly lower back to the starting position. Pause. Repeat exercise with other arm.
- Do not hunch over or arch your lower back. Stand straight.
- Do not bend the wrists at any time. Keep wrists aligned with forearms at all times.
- Do not allow elbows to move away from sides, at any time during the exercise.
- Do not swing the weight up and down. Get control of the exercise.
1. If you notice your elbows moving away from your side, stop the movement, pause and lower back down to the starting position.
2. Inhale as you raise the dumbbell. Exhale as you lower back down to starting position.
3. If you are starting this exercise for the first time use either your body weight or a small one pound plate.
4. Some individuals use a can of food as their first form of resistance.
Alternate Exercises for the Dumbbell (DB) Curl:
- Barbell Curl
- Reverse Barbell Curl
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in the Beginner exercise course via video, written description is offered solely as opinion only. Always consult with your physician before trying any new diet or exercise program. This workout routine may not be suitable for you.