Barbell Curl Exercise Description
The following exercise provides written description designed for the individual just getting started with exercise.
Muscle Group: Overall Bicep Exercise
Main Objective: Tone both Arms (Biceps) at the same time
Step By Step Instruction:
1. Use body weight or grasp hold of a light bar with both hands or a light plate in each hand as shown in the video.
2. Stand tall with feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent.
3. Have arms down at your sides, palms facing your thighs.
4. As you raise weights past the thighs slowly twist your hands from that of facing your thighs to having your palms face up, keeping hands, wrist and forearms in alignment with one another.
5. Slowly raise forearms up to front of the shoulders. Lightly squeeze the bicep muscle.
6. Pause and slowly release back to starting position. Feel bicep muscles resisting the weight as your arms release down to starting position.
- Do not curl your wrists at the top of the exercise.
- Do not lockout elbows when releasing back to the starting position.
- Do not allow your elbows to move from your side at any time during the exercise.
- Do not curve your torso forwards or backwards. Keep your torso perfectly straight.
1. Keep wrists in alignment with forearms throughout the whole exercise.
2. Keep your elbows fixed at your sides at all times throughout the exercise.
3. It’s ok if you’re unable to raise weight to shoulders. Eventually you’ll be able to.
4. If you have only dumbbell (DB) that’s ok, just treat the DB as if they’re a single bar and raise both arms up and down at the same time.
5. Keep torso perfectly straight throughout the whole exercise.
Alternate Beginner Exercises for the Barbell (BB) Curl:
- DB Curl
- Reverse Barbell (BB) Curl
DISCLAIMER: The information provided in the Beginner exercise course via video, written description is offered solely as opinion only. Always consult with your physician before trying any new diet or exercise program. This workout routine may not be suitable for you.